WWW Memorial Hall of the Victims in the Nanjing Massacre
In December 1937, Nanjing fell to the Japanese Imperial Army. The Japanese army launched a massacre for six weeks. According to the records of several welfare organizations which buried the dead bodies after the Massacre, around three hundred thousand people, mostly civilians and POWs, were brutally slaughtered.
Over twenty thousand cases of rape were reported. Many of the victims were gang raped and then killed. The figure did not include those captives who were sent to army brothels (the so-called "comfort stations").
The actual Memorial Hall is built to commemorate the victims.
The actual Hall is located in Jiangdongmen (The Gate on the Eastern Bank of the River), one of the sites where countless human bones of the victims of the Massacre were excavated. It is just one of those "wan ren keng" (pit of ten thousand corpses) which can be found in many Japanese occupied areas in China during the war.
The building housing the skeletons excavated in Jiangdongmen.
The Hall is built in the eighties when a number of Japanese politicians and writers claimed that the Massacre had never ocurred and history textbooks were rewritten by the authority describing the Massacre as a minor incident.
It must be reminded that contrary to Germany the Japanese government has never made any formal or official apology to the Chinese people for their crimes committed during the war.
Instead, a number of Japanese politicians and writers denied not just the Massacre but any of their wrong doings in the Second World War. They claimed that they had "liberated" Asian peoples from Western colonialism. The Nanjing Massacre is one of their so-called "liberations".
This WWW Memorial Hall is created to expose their lies and to preserve the historical truth.
Let the victims of the Massacre be remembered but not buried in lies.
- (Excerpts in GB Chinese)
- Duan Yueping
- About the activities of the actual Memorial Hall in Nanjing.
- (Nov 1992; GB Chinese)
- Duan Yueping
- (Members of the International Safety Zone Committee)
- (Japanese, file removed)
- Confessions from former Japanese soldiers who participated in the Massacre (English & Japanese)
- Extracts from Nanjing Massacre Reports by Western Witnesses
- Terrible Stories of the Massacre Overheard by a Japanese Girl
- Extracts from Scorched Earth (1941)
- Edgar Snow
- by Yoshiyuki Masaki
- The Nanjing Murder Race (Extracts from What War Means)
- Harold Timperley
- Is Smythe's Figure Reliable?
- Gao Xingzu, Wu Shimin, Hu Yungong, and Cha Ruizhen
- Tr. Robert Gray
- by Jiang Dali
- Department of Histroy, Nanjing University
- Tr. Yue Dongxiao
- Basic Facts on the Nanjing Massacre (1990)
- The New Jersey Hong Kong Network
- Text and PS versions for FTP
- A Further Study of the Nanjing Massacre (Xinhua wenzhai, 1995 No.2)
- Wu Tianwei
- & Big-5 Chinese
- The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II (Excerpts, 1997)
- Iris Chang
- (Ami Chen Mills, MetroActive)
- (National Review, 10/11/97) by Russell Jenkis
- (Transcripts of ABS's program about John Rabe)
- Two Book Reviews
- Huaxia wenzhai "Nanjing Massacre" supplement (15 Aug, 1995)
- & Chinese
- (excerpts from Los Angeles Readers, 1 Jul, 1994)
- Kewin Ulrich
- (In Japanese. A WWW Page by Tanaka Massaki's supporters)
- "Never heard of it": Ex-president of the Diet denies the Massacre (GB Chinese, 1996)
- Nagasaki A-Bomb Museum Removed Nanjing Massacre Material Due to Pressure (Big-5 Chinese, 1996)
- The Rape of Nanjing Did Not Happen (1995)
- The Youth Liberal Party, Japan
- Nicholas D. Kristof, The New York Times, May 20, 1995
- "The Nanjing Massacre is a lie" (1991)
- Watanabe Shoichi, Professor of Sophie University
- Watanabe Shoichi denying the Massacre on video
- "The Nanjing Massacre is a lie" (1990)
- Ishihara Shintaro, ex-cabinet member
- "The Nanjing Massacre Never Occurred" (1990)
- The Deputy Japanese Consul in Houston, US
- Japanese prime minister Ryutaro Hashimoto's homage to war criminals (1996)
- Japanese diet members' homage to war criminals
- Including Matsui Iwane, held responsible for the Nanjing Massacre
- (Shinji Kakichi)
- "Comfort women" are prostitutes for money, Seiroku Kajiyama, Chief Cabinet Secretary (27/1/97)
- "Comfort women 'did it for money'", Seisuke Okuno, ex-education minister (6/6/96)
- "Japan Didn't Colonize Korea", Michio Watanabe, ex-vice premier & foreign minister (7/6/95)
- On-line Evidence of Japanese History Distortion
- The Japan That Can Say No (English translation)
- Akio Morita & Ishihara Shintaro
- China Should Not Have Resisted: A Japanese Woman's View of the Nanjing Massacre
- Shenzhou xueren 46 (1/12/1995)
- GB & Big-5 Chinese
(A feature article supporting the opinion that Japan helped liberating Asia,
Aisaweek Aug 4, 1995)
- : Japanese war crimes
- : Where war criminals are national heroes
- History revisionism on the Internet.
- The Axis are still out there!
- Through role playing games, some Japanese are fantasizing the return of a
- nationalist police-state & its Korean colony in 2056!!
4 star editorial rating
No. of visits since 20th September, 1997:
Comments and contributions are welcome.
Please send them to Hall Maintainer.
Created: 20th December, 1994
Last updated: 27 May, 1999
VIGOROUSLY UPDATED UNTIL JAPAN FORMALLY APOLOGIZES